A Little Bit About Us..........
Our Church Staff
Director of Music Ministries
Hertford United Methodist Church was first formed in 1822 with a small group of 28 persons and formed as the “Hertford Station” in the formative years of the newly organized Methodist Episcopal Church in America.
There have been three different sanctuaries sharing the good news of Jesus Christ and being the hands and feet of Christ in our community and in our world for almost 200 years.
In 1844 The Methodist Episcopal Church of America split into two churches due to the issues of slavery; The Methodist Episcopal Church North and The Methodist Episcopal Church South.
In 1938 the churches came back together to form The Methodist Church.
In 1968 there was a merger of several small Wesleyan churches with The Methodist Church to form The United Methodist Church. Hertford United Methodist Church continues in its’ long tradition of sharing the good news of Jesus Christ through a faithful and Biblical tradition and missional outreach in our community and in our world. To God be the glory!
1822 – The first Methodist congregation in Hertford. The “Hertford Station” was in the Virginia Methodist Conference.
1833 – Property on Dobbs and Covent Garden Streets was acquired to construct a one story wooden building. There were twenty-eight original members. 1855 – Second church building erected at the corner of Market and Covent Garden Streets. A one-story wooden 40’x60′ church with steeple was located on the same place of our present church.
1894 – The Hertford Methodist Church joined the North Carolina Conference – Elizabeth City District. 1901 – Third Methodist Church Building (present sanctuary) built on the corner of Market and Covent Garden.
1928 – A new Sunday school building construction began, opening for use on March 3, 1929. A large assembly auditorium, classrooms, and a Pastor’s Study were on the first floor, with classrooms and a history record room on the second floor. This building is now known as the Fellowship Hall.
1962 – Construction began on a new Educational Building on Dobbs Street ($91,000 raised). The building included the library and a Church office. It was opened in 1963.
1987 – “The Carillon of the Bells” was installed in memory of Tony Winslow by his family. It is the “Magnebell II Bell Tower System.”
1999 – Handicapped accessibility ramp and handicapped parking area was constructed at the Market Street entrance.
2001 – Renovation of choir seating and organ location completed, with space for musicians and performers.
2005 – A complete renovation of the exterior of the Sanctuary, Fellowship Hall, and Educational Building began, including a new handicap ramp for the Fellowship Hall at the Covent Garden Street entrance, along with a handicap bathroom off the Fellowship Hall. In addition, the Church grounds were landscaped.
2009 – The Choir Room was renovated, with the addition of closets and a music storage space.
2009 – June, Renovations began on the attic. Youth Room completed and ready for UMYF .
2010 Mary Martha Circle renovated the Library into a Church Parlor and established a Resource Room for all Sunday School Classes as well as groups to use.
2020 – Witness Ministry Team painted and created a prayer room to be used by anyone for prayer and meditation
2022 - August - Sanctuary Restoration Project was completed. Plaster was restored and painted.